Srinagar : Director Fire and Emergency Services, Command Pulwama, Thursday issued a fire advisory for the upcoming winter to prevent occurrence of fire mishaps.
The Directorate, in an advisory as per Current News of India, reads that with a view to tackling challenges posed by the prospective fire incidents during the upcoming harsh winters in the Kashmir valley, it invokes a special advisory for the complete safety of general public in District Pulwama/Shopian.
“People especially in rural areas are called upon to remain vigilant where agricultural produce is stashed in different ways and is vulnerable to fire. So they need to remain cautious about the risks associated with the cold weather, when the use of winter gadgets is heightened”, reads the advisory.
“Government offices operating in District Pulwama/Shopian are provided in advance with fire safety measures for their strict implementation during the current year and it has been advised that all the measures are put in place so as to remain safe from any major incident of fire.”
“The practice of partial implementation of fire safety measures is a huge concern and as such requires immediate attention by all”, remarks the advisory.
“In this regard, this office issues advisory for general public and other stakeholders of District Pulwama/Shopian for their individual safety and their property”, reads the advisory adding “Accordingly, it is requested that this advisory may kindly be given wide publication at your end, so that it is disseminated to general masses for their safety from increasing fire incidents in the upcoming winter season.”
As per the advisory, following measures are requested in view of the imminent winter season;
- Refrain from using faulty/sub-standard electrical appliances, high wattage electrical room heaters, defective electrical blankets etc. especially in old structures, where electric wiring systems are usually worn-out/underrated, which can result in short circuits and ultimately leading to fire incidents.
- Use ISI certified appliances.
- Use good quality fuses of correct rating, miniature circuit breakers (MCB) and earth leakage circuit breakers.
- Use one socket for one appliance.
- Switch off the electric supply of fire affected areas.
- Fuses and switches should be mounted on metallic cubicles for greater safety against fire.
- Replace broken plugs and switches immediately.
- Keep the electric wire away from the hot and wet surfaces.
- Switch-Off appliances after use and remove plugs from the socket.
- Switch-Off the main switch when leaving the premises/home for a long duration.
- Never have temporary or naked joints on wiring.
- Don’t leave wires under carpets/mats/doormats/doorways. They get crushed which results in a short circuit.
- Don’t allow appliances and cords to dangle.
- Don’t place bare wire ends in a socket.
- Overloading of circuits/ extension cords operating appliances like heaters and boilers must be avoided.
- While using Gas Heaters, care should be taken that LPG Cylinder is removed from the room before sleeping, otherwise any leakage from it will not only result in suffocation of occupants but also any small ignition to the leaked LPG cloud can result in sudden explosion and fire, which may further cause a huge loss of precious lives and property. Proper ventilation should be ensured while using LPG Heaters.
- Use of multiple appliances like water bottle and electric blanket at the same time should be abstained from.
- Caution should be exercised when using wood and fuel in Hamams or traditional steam baths and before adding more fuel, temperature must be monitored.
- While cooking food, the cooking appliances should never be kept unattended.
- If you are sleepy or have taken any such medicine inducing dizziness, don’t use the stove or stove top
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a shorter period of time, turn off the stove.
- If you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtails- away from your stove top.
- On the stove top, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the bumer. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- While using kangris, it should be ensured that it is handled firmly and carefully, so that it does not topple over and burn the furnishings especially those prone to fire, resulting in small fires.
- While using candles, care should be taken that it is not kept on any wooden or inflammable surface.
- Inflammable/combustible products like charcoal should be stored/handled/used correctly.
- Heating sources at home should be inspected thoroughly before their use in the winters; and
- People should immediately call the Fire Service Control Room in case of an occurrence of a fire incident. (CNI) Current News of India